The Giant Clam Nursery and White Beach Of Cantaan in Camiguin Island

>> Thursday, May 13, 2010



We are finally here in the rumored Gian Clam Nursery and White Beach of Cantaan in Camiguin Island! I think this is a very new tourist spot because when we went to Camiguin Island 5 years ago, we haven't heard of this existing yet!
Nestled in a cove near Cantaan is a beautiful beach with white sand. This beach facing Mindanao is already a surprise. But actually the real surprise is the Giant Clam Nursery.

This is a bit far from though from the other tourist spots to visit in Camiguin. Cantaan is only 22km from Mambajao but well hidden. Best transportation is your own rented motorbike. Then it takes some 30 to 40 minutes to get there. You may first miss the intersection leading to Cantaan. So when you see the wharf of Guinsiliban, make an U-turn. On your way back (about 500 meters), you will see the welcome sign of Cantaan with its Mickey-Mouse. Continue straight through the Barangay. The road is 95% of concrete and sometimes rather steep (See the picture below so you won't get lost).

The U-Turn Intersection
But even though the place is a bit hidden, when you finally arrived at the beach, you will be Wowed! You will never expect a beautiful white beach still resides on that hidden place!

You will then be greeted with friendly staffs, most of them are kids which is pretty amazing! There is an entrance fee of P25.00 but they will tour you around the beach and show you the Giant Clams they're taking care of. Not only will they show you the Giant Clams inside the round pools, they will also explain the life of a Clam, in ENGLISH! And remember, they are local kids in the area but they know a lot of things about these beautiful creatures. :)
The Bright Kids of Cantaan :)
Not only that, if you're a swimmer, you can also rent some Goggles, Flippers, Floaters and Snorkels and go snorkeling around the area where you can find the rumored 1 Meter Giant Clam! There's a viewing fee of P150 though but they'll already provide you with a guide good for 5 people I think.

Clam Viewing / Renting Rates
I think the price is right so 3 of us immediately went on Snorkeling (I love snorkeling!)! I was pretty lucky to I brought my 10m Waterproof Camera so I was already very excited to get some shots and videos underwater! So here are some shots I've taken in the shallow areas. I've also taken a video of the whole snorkeling activity and I'll upload it on Youtube and embed it here soon.


The Snorkeling activity went on for 45 minutes I think but God, it was awesome! I've done several snorkeling activities from different places already but for me, I think this is the BEST Snorkeling Experience I've tried yet! You can really see the 1M BIG Giant Clams!

Only after our snorkeling activity did we check out the Education Facility and we were amazed at how dedicated they are to save the Marine Life even though they are just a COOP and are not getting much support and funding from the Govt.

So if ever you come visit Camiguin Island, I guarantee you, this is one of the Best Places In The World! By going to this place too, you are helping the Cooperative, the Marine Life and most especially, the people around the area for livelihood. They sure need our help. :)



Don't Miss A Single Journey! Subscribe via email NOW to be updated And to Get Your Free Ebook!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner


Share/Save/Bookmark

Post a Comment

Have your say here..

5 comments:

J-me Pikman May 13, 2010 at 2:22 AM  

TY!!!

By the way, have you ever heard about yummy-cebu.com? I hear they just finished a new contest called Mama's day out!

Steve June 2, 2010 at 2:18 PM  

This looks like a really fun place to visit. I wouldn't have thought about going there until I read this. I heard that Mindinao isn't really all that safe, but this island seems pretty safe to me.

Unknown December 14, 2010 at 2:53 AM  

Great post, love it! haha Anyway, today I had a big luck and want to share it with everyone - I finally found a way to make cheap calls to my cousin Becky in Australia:

www.briing.com/cheap-calls/australia.php

If you're in the UK like me, you can call cheaply to Australia and all over the world! :)

Railway Reservation January 7, 2011 at 5:41 AM  

The Snorkeling activity went on for 45 minutes I think but God, it was awesome! I've done several snorkeling activities from different places already but for me, I think this is the BEST Snorkeling Experience I've tried yet.

Anonymous May 21, 2011 at 1:58 PM  

Thank you for the heartwarming article about our giant clams in Sitio Kibila, Cantaan, Guinsiliban, Camiguin. It is consoling for our volunteers to know that there are people like you who believe in our cause of saving the 6 species of giant clams we have in our facility. We do need help, especially now that the local government is trying to take them away from the community who started the project and worked so hard to sustain it through all this years. I hope all tourists are like you. Daghang Salamat!(Thank you so much!)
- angustia h. jadman (finance officer)

Recent Posts

Recent Comments

  © Blogger templates Palm by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP